Men of Teal

Sunday, May 16, 2010

What I Love About Sunday's....



I don't know what it is about Sunday, but I love it. Yea, I know work starts the next day, and you have that in the back of your mind, but there is just something about the day that is really great. It is a day to relax, go to church, watch the ballgame, play your guitar, take the dog for a walk, go out for a nice lunch, call an old friend, sleep in, take a nap, do something new, see something different, lay by the pool, go to the beach, sit in the park, read a book, watch an old movie, take a drive, spend time with someone you love...

But there is also something about it that is refreshing to me, in the way Friday Night, or Saturday cannot even compare. And no, I am not talking about the chance to Sober up. What I am referring to is the start of a new week, the chance to contemplate things that matter, and things that don't.

I was reading my Bible this morning, and I was reading about the Story of Joseph. And what really caught me today was how similar his life was to some of ours. Everything was great for him, and yet his own brothers because of their jealousy turned on him and sold him into slavery. Things used to seem so good for him, he was handsome, young, and had his whole life in front of him, now he is a slave. But he didn't complain he worked hard and ended up becoming the Master Servant in his Owner's home. Once again, his life would have been pretty good, that is until the Owner's wife wanted to get with him, or "smoke" him if your from the Bronx. But, he didn't give in. He easily could have knocked that girl up and no one would have known. Instead, he did the right thing, and made the right decision. The funny thing is because he didn't rock her world, she flipped out and lied that he did (whore). Next thing you know poor Joe is in prison and for a long time. But he never complained, and he met someone in prison and befriended that person. That person happened to have some connections (also a positive from this story) and when that guy got out, he told Pharaoh about Joseph, and next thing you know, Big Joe is now working for Pharaoh and helped save their nation from a famine. Now I know I gave all the credit to Joey here, but really it was God. He had a plan far bigger than anything we could have imagined. I guess what I am trying to say is sometimes we have no clue why things happen to us, why young people die early, why people hurt us, lie to us, things may stink at our job, we may not be happy, money may be tight. Well maybe just maybe this is learning period and a test of character for something greater. I like to think that like Joe, we are being fined tuned to be something greater....

I remember the first time I had my heartbroken after a long relationship, I did not understand why all the pain, and loneliness had to happen to me. I never understood why it had to hurt, and I tried so hard not to do the easy thing which would have been jumping into a new relationship or sleeping with someone totally random. It took a long time, and a lot of sleepless nights. I battled with depression and anger. But that struggle was not in vain for as it turned out I went through all that, so that I could be there for my best friend as he had to battle the same situation shortly there after...funny thing is he was right back there for me when I needed him.

You know sometimes I think we all pray for Angels, or Miracles or Signs from God to show us the way and what we are supposed to do or be. I think we miss the main idea, and that is all of this happens for a reason, and something better is on the way if we do the right things. But I also believe he does send Angels, Miracles and Signs. There called friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment