Men of Teal

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

All Good Things....





Well, it is official, my favourite player ever has been traded. The hate and denial period have both been solidified, so now it is time for the next stage of healing, reflection.

Am I ever going to miss watching Roy Halladay take the ball every 5th day. I remember seeing him as a young 19 year old kid pitching for AAA Syracuse, and later as a perennial All star silencing the Bronx cheers in the House that Ruth Built. Some of my best memories have come at the expense of his right arm. Entire schedules were built around his starts. Posters on my college dorms, a jersey for my back, heck even my dog is named after him.

So I just want to say thanks Roy, its been swell. While I will never understand why you wanted to leave, I wish you the best in your pursuit of a ring. You deserve it. I am also thankful you did not end up on the Yankees.

There is something to be said about a team's ace. And when it comes to number one starters, America is going to find out what I have known for over 10 years, that Roy Halladay is the best in the business.

So while it has been said that everything that ends, ends badly, I will try to remember the good times. The one hit shutout in the Bronx, the beat down of Aj Burnett and his return to Toronto, and your near no hitter in your first game. I will remember my high school trip with Eric, Jeff and Matt, as we battled SARS to watch you dominate Mike Mussina and the Yankees (i see a pattern here). You were the epitome of a pro athlete, the best fantasy player ever,a consummate hard worker, and a role model for all pitchers. I think ill name my children Leroy Halladay Marshall in your honor (that may or may not be a joke).

And while I now have watch you in red pinstripes instead of the blue, I will try to remember the good, and when I call my dog ill be reminded of you, and smile.

p.s. No homo. Doc Halladay is the man, George Bush said so.

No comments:

Post a Comment