Monday, March 29, 2010
Top 5 Reasons Jaguars are Better than Other Cats
5. While similar looking to a Leopard, Jaguars spots have dots and are way cooler looking. The Jaguar also has a "Black Panther" which actually is brown and has spots and is not a Panther at all, but a Jaguar...
4. The name Jaguar comes from the Tupian word, "yaguara" which means "beast."
3. The jaguar has an exceptionally powerful bite, even relative to the other big cats. This allows it to pierce the shells of armoured reptiles and to employ an unusual killing method: it bites directly through the skull of prey between the ears to deliver a fatal bite to the brain.
2. The jaguar attacks from cover and usually from a target's blind spot with a quick pounce; the species' ambushing abilities are considered nearly peerless in the animal kingdom by both indigenous people and field researchers.
1. The adult jaguar is an apex predator, meaning that it exists at the top of its food chain and is not preyed on in the wild.